This snapshot off the web of ancient Roman glass bottles is what I'd most like to replicate.
I found that the clear paper glue (in blue squeeze bottle) never built up any thickness. Clunk.
I found that the clear window paint (in white squeeze tube) never really dried through in any thickness and would take way too long to build up a bottle. (A blue bead with the black nail for a handle had several dips in it but hardly looks any different than the raw blue bead next to it.) Clackerty.
I found that gooey chewy Liquid Sculpey was really hard to shape (mix it with?) and would mostly slop around uncooperatively, like the ones stuck on toothpicks above. However, I popped one of these into the oven with the polymer clay wrapped tests and think it came out the best of the batch, seen centered in the bottle cluster shown on right. Twinkle tinkle?
The other bottles around it were made by wrapping a thin slice of polymer clay (the white block on right is "transparent" Kato Polyclay by Van Aken) around various small beads and baking in a toaster oven at 300º for 20 minutes instead of the recommended 10 (not a good idea, I have a headache), which is why some of it scorched. I very much like the primitive quality this group has. It matches Halfland very well and I may use these in the Writing Mouse chalet, in the background.
I thought I was being clever when I said, "Hey, hey! why not try HOT GLUE!!!" It's clearish, non-tox, it would build up right away being thick enough not to run off the bead and wire bases. It looked good at the start. I got cheeky and even inserted clear plastic straws in the bead tops as a substrate for the bottlenecks. They looked nice and clear, clouding up only a bit when cooled. Parts of them look meh ok, but mostly just clunky. Clankerty--Smash--tinkle.
So, after these first tests, my winner is... Liquid Sculpey and Polymer Clay with twig stoppers.
Thank you for playing along at home. I hope to leave bottle world alone and get back to some more major plastering this weekend.