Friday, April 30, 2010

Catching Up: Growing a Backbone

(SURPRISINGLY TO ME) Puppet Building has begun in earnest recently (more on that as the next few posts unroll). I bought this tortoise shell on my cross country drive in 1994 for the Torhare character which is a white rabbit with a tortoise's shell that Tarn uses like a horse. I bought it in New Mexico I think for $15. I always thought of using it to cast the character's shell, but it occurred to me to just use this real one and paint it with prettier colors.

I removed the grotty remains of the poor turtle ( you can see the way his spine is part of the shell itself (upper left) as I painted the shell opaque white. I then built up layers of color using finger rubbed chalks (upper right). A jewel-like iridescence was added to that with my special ceramic pearl waxes in lime green and emerald (lower left). The natural veins were made smudge brown via umber chalk after a tone-down with walnut ink solution.

Here the finished shell, ready for the rabbit foam build-up puppet to be made using the pure white rabbit skin bought in New York for the purpose.

6 comments:

  1. thanks, Miss Marcie, Halfland's Official Naturalist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. m_) danzing gerbils, this is amazing!

    m__+ I am working on a turtle puppet and this definitely inspired me enough to ..keep pushing forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to turn the screen away to hide this from Casanova (my tortoise!)

    Best,
    Karima

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it, Dan!

    Oh, Karima! I'm so sorry! YES, I can completely understand how awful seeing this shell must be. I'm hoping he lived a full life and didn't need the shell anymore. Please convey my sincere regrets to Casanova!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woww... this shell is really looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...