Underground Stuntworm!

 


I need this? YES!
A little interstitial moment somewhere I'm sure. (Still TBD).
These sets will add a great deal of depth to the world of Halfland,
making it feel more dimensional and full.
I know that seeing the earth underground, as
I've made places to plant some trees this year,
really adds a lot to my experiences of that sort in this world.

On the side of the underground set I used leftover dirt cloth made back at the loft (perhaps for this purpose) to make ridges and groves for the silk-covered worm puppet to wriggle into and around.

The puppet itself is made on a plastic ball-jointed armature, covered with layers of tight fabric wrapping cinched with wire to enhance its many hourglass curves. The final layer was a ruched tube of silk that had been sun-faded outside for a long while. It just looked right so I used it. Coated it finally in a flexible iridescent medium that makes things appear to be wet, to contrast with the flat matte of the dirt.

I shot these test shots with a small fresnel magnifying lens to add the Halfland atmosphere and slight analog distortions I need to make it all feel dream-like and poetic. I found that if I draped myself in black felt, I could control the flares and glares.

Comments