Get the Details


Straight from the camera, I can get a glimpse of the storybook poetry Halfland props and sets can provide. Here, the little tea tray settled on a cushette in the window seat set at Dusk, features the translucent nature of the berries yet gently blurs the closer cup of lemon slices. The handmade Tudor window with twig mullions offers just the right amount of obscured view. (Thanks for laser cutting each diamond of plexiglass as a gift, Mark) All the details put in are obviously there, but yet the softened distortions my shooting set up* gives me, achieves my wildest dreams for the project, and is now exceeding them.


Funny story, I was watching YouTube Shorts per usual and a random photographer spoke about "Extension Tubes" with great passion. I Googled it, piqued, I ordered an inexpensive set, got them in the post the next day, and started messing about with them. Watched just one excellent video on how they can be used, and have been practicing everyday since. 

How they couple with my beloved Plane Tilt lens is astonishing for me. I'm able to control the images in a fully empowering way, not just what part of it can be most sharply focused, but also the amount of vignetting. (The tubes darken the view so more light is needed.) I start with the exposure depending on how much light is present on the subject, set the ISO accordingly, low for darker circumstances and higher for lighter, then I use a ranging technique (well explained in the video linked) to find the precise focal length in each shot. It's doubly tricky but exactly what I needed.

Imagine, the chance of catching that YT short to learn about these, only to discover they are the magic vehicle getting me where I needed to go. God Bless the Al Gore Rhythm! Man!

I shoot every day around the house or on the set just to get the feel for HOW to work with the lenses and WHEN to work with the lenses. Above, you can compare the Plane Tilt lens alone (upper left) and its limits for close-ups vs. the same lens, with all its ability to tilt the planes, etc., with a 13mm ring of glassless plastic added behind it, allowing a far closer shot.

Translate this to Halfland details and textures, and you can start to see what's happening. We're getting the details in an even more satisfying, dreamlike way.


Here too, is a test foursome taken today of Plane Tilt with a single 13mm ring added, getting all the yummy details of my 2023 Christmas decorations. (Yes, I put up my 2023 Christmas decorations today, don't judge, it's hormonal!)


* Well, guys, As of this day, the official Halfland camera/lens set up is; the Panasonic Lumix S5 Mirrorless Camera (shown here with both 13mm and 18mm Macro Extension Tube set) installed between the camera and the Plane Tilt 50mm Lens. Stacking both tubes simultaneously increases the magnification further than a single tube alone. Current testing conclusions here are that most shots in Halfland can be well captured with either one of the tubes, with only the Bug Party (1/2L's smallest scale set/puppets) better appreciated by using both at once.


I don't mean to boast about having this beautiful equipment. It's relatively humble as far as shooting set-ups go. I used the money my aunt shared with me from my mother's passing and my savings from teaching private ballet lessons for years. I take each purchasing decision very seriously and consider each item very carefully.


I never dreamed that I, without any education, would be able to get the kinds of imagery these incredible machines and software are providing for Halfland. #dreamexceeded


Thank you for advising, caring, and watching throughout the journey!




Comments

  1. Glad you found your magic combination! How is the overall experience with moving images?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley Noble6:47 PM

      Hi, Jill! I'll let you know! 30 years building puppets/sets/props so far, not a single actual sequence have I made yet alone. Not true really, I have done several camera test sequences where I could kinda get the gist, enough to know that I love the art form and can make my limited capability work. I know I'm not a puppet pusher/performer and so this project will instead emphasize the atmosphere/detailed world-building/visual poetry of it. My puppets are limited as I opt for using only natural materials which aren't always as flexible and posable as silicone and urethane. That, coupled with my total lack of experience animating forces my style to be heavy on the illusion of make-believe reality I'm crafting.

      Here's one of my little equipments tests from 2008. (The puppet was made for Halfland's underwater scene by extraordinary animator Nick Hilligoss. I was using it to test a self-made camera slider designed for the garage animator by Dick Kaneshiro.)

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=074uC_rmzIY

      Delete

Post a Comment