Saturday, February 24, 2007
Going to the Wall
Click on the image for a larger view
Today I removed the masking tape from the wooden timbers. The joint compound was still uncured and soft like paper clay. I would say my plan worked, and didn't. Some areas came out perfectly (the far right close up shows an area that worked how I wanted, on the right), others were still too uneven and cracked (as seen in the close up, on its top half). I took a scalpel to the still malleable plaster to trim and neaten up the edges. I took one wall down and was happy to see that it came away cleanly from the uprights next to it.
Overall, I think this will work. I think the next step is to recover the wood, which got distressed by the tape pulling away, by the way. Not a problem as I like the added texture and can wash it again with more stain.) Again, recover the wood slats, this time on just the face of it, and then add an additional layer to the walls of either plaster slurry or more joint compound. After that, I can begin tinting the walls in ocher upon deeper ocher acrylic washes. Woo.
Next steps: For the interior wall surfaces, I think I'll have to dismantle the panels and turn them around to get at them! And I'm still mentally sorting out the addendum landscape set construction and how on earth I'll add a roof!
Pssst: I collected all my already made Halfland goodies and props for a show and tell and tidied up the workshop for a certain secret special super surprise guest at Halfland Ranch this weekend!