Sunday, February 11, 2007
My Varanda Rights
Today's little act was to continue filling in areas that needed it on the tree with newspaper clumps and duct tape (used up all the masking tape in the house) (seen as silver patches above.) A bigger step was that I finally blocked out the location of the cottage's porch in cardboard. I taped down large cardboard panels as armature bases that will be used to form hills on the East side landscape of the house.
To see things better, I threw together the quick digital image above of the snapshot of today's act along with a modified gazebo roof and a few other spare dressings added to help me start sorting out the roof design and construction. I also gave a lot of thought to how to join the wall panel seams when the cottage is assembled. I decided on stained wooden timber at the joins (attached to one side of one wall in each pair, also digitally sketched above.) would be a good way to go. There will be more plastering on all the walls, and more timber added in the Tudor (wattle and daub) style so the wood will seem to be more part of the home's consctruction at that point.
Making progress on the tree has really helped me to see my way through my construction confusion of how to build the set. It's thrilling for me to realize that I know how I can do this, because not so long ago it was all just a hazy, abstract vision.