Thursday, November 19, 2009
100 Days: Pluck a Rose for Tea
I went back to the ceramic studio for the forth time and finally retrieved my tiny thrown cups for the props. I fired the worm-sized handles separately and the clear glass glaze slipped off them during firing and melded many of them to the flint board they were on. I chipped off as many as I could and then had to play match up with whatever cups survived to whatever handled made it through.
The "white" glaze I used came out more like iron ware to me, nice looking on their own, but I really needed these props to be bright white to read as teacups. I painted them with acrylic (I'd use white glossy spray paint if I had to suggest an improvement) and then hit em twice with glossy clear acrylic for a porcelain sheen. Much better.
I love the wonky misshapen quality throwing these cups on a wheel made. I could have sculpted more perfect cups, perhaps even casting duplicates for uniformity, but the way these surprised me works for me. I think that's because these cups are meant to be actually grown as living things.
I added calyx to the cup bottoms to further sell the concept (upper right). When I pair these finished cups with the paper roses on the hand-painted vines I've made, it looks positively magical.
Today, as I was waking up, I solved how I want to construct the bay Tudor window that the Teacup Rose bush will grow on (AND THROUGH!). With all the rose foliage now painted, all the little cups now ready to grow on them, now all the miniature roses finished ready to go on the trellis as well, the brown twig like wire base for it all now ready... assembling this special Teacup Rose set detail is going to be an enormous thrill.