Caterpillar C is Alive!


Caterpillar C is Alive!, originally uploaded by Nobledesign.
I had a magical THRILL today. A thrill I will never forget.

I noticed a hint of color and motion (upper left) inside the jar on my desk. The jar I'd long since assumed held the dead chrysalis of my third captured caterpillar.

I can't describe the wonder and surprise at seeing this brightly-colored and beautiful fluttering creation after being so sure no butterfly could still be alive after looking like a dead leaf for so many weeks!

I took loads of photos, tried to find out if he needed food or water and then decided to release him out the window, even though I don't imagine there are any passion flower vines for him or other Gulf Fritillary Agraulis vanillae around to mate with in his 4-5 days left of life.

I felt it was better to give him a shot at living by some miracle of nature as opposed to certainly dieing. I'd have loved to keep him to admire after his death but knowing him while he's alive, that seemed less than appealing.

But you know I broke out alll the orange silk fabrics I had at hand for a photoshoot first though! Art before all. (lower right) An abstract vapor of his fluttering on orange silk.

Googling made it easy to discover data about my little Gulf Fritillary Agraulis vanillae and what to do when he emerged.

Comments

  1. how lovely to have the chance to meet a baby butterfly! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! and to know him in his former lifetime as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing Shelley! I can imagine how much you were surprised when you saw him. This is the power of ART, passion to CREATE, a wonderful gift from nature!!
    I once had a caterpillar pet :) I dont remember where I found him but I remember making him a little plate and some foods, etc. His name was "mincikunun" A made up name by me meaning something like very small. Unfortunately I lost him before he grew up. I left the plate on the table and someone in the house cleaned up the table when he was wondering around outside of the plate. Oh well, but I never forget about him. A nice and sad memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've got some lighting to do! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment