The bugs at the bug party are excited to sample the little cakes I built as one of the last props for the big event. (click to enlarge)
The frosting flowers were made from small paper roses and rosebuds coated with clear heavy gloss gel to lessen their detail and make them look as if they were made of frosting. I also used sesame seeds, pressed, preserved and painted mini rose leaves, paper punch shapes as smaller leaves, and real micro pods painted to make them look like scale rose buds for the tops.
I made two cakes of about the same size as well as a few slices and lumps that will later be seen on the white spot plates on the mushroom table settings as the party goes late into the night. To present the cakes, I punched small holes on painted real leaves to suggest the paper dollies that typically line cake stands. I wanted it to look half like fancy cake doily and almost as though the bugs ate the leaves in that pattern for the party. They are going all out for this.