Update: The plaster hub shown here ultimately failed, not strong enough to withstand use. Have resorted to bold use of hardware instead. Search the blog for "Roof" (upper left corner) for new developments. Thank you for visiting. SN 11/09 Don't ask me how I knew this would work. Having my hands work with my mind standing by watching is the answer. This afternoon I wrapped each of the roof beams in thin plastic wrap as a release agent, mixed a good batch of plaster to a whip cream consistency and slowly poured it into the papier mache box hub at the top. When curing I removed the tube support that was holding the peak up and let the plaster harden that way. Once done I pulled the beams out gently and removed the plastic from them. Now I have a custom "lock" that securely holds the roofline precisely where I want it and yet allows total flexibility for disassembling the roof in whole or in part! Brill.
I also re-worked the cottage's front porch. I re-shaped it with curves and extended it over and into the tree roots for more interactivity between tree and house. I taped pieces of card board together to make the pattern. This will be used to create the exact shape in wooden slats. More cedar lathing strips glued together I think! Back to the Deeps, Home Deeps.