For no reason--it wasn't even on The List--I saw a photo in a catalog of several highly distressed footstools (one seen in upper left) and *had* to add one for the cottage.
I took scrap lumber and moulding from Kit Kraft, glued it together, added nail heads from chandelier crystals I was taking apart (you'll see why shortly!), and started finishing it.
Somewhere along the way I decided that Rana, having hooves, would scuff and damage the stool's paint and wood every time she used it. I started sanding the wear into the wood and scratching and gouging. I stained the texture with strong walnut ink crystals (upper right).
In the background of the finished stool's photo (bottom) you can see where I'm about to build in some matching steps into the tree trunk kitchen so Rana can reach her spice cabinet better.