Sunday, September 10, 2006
Balls to the Walls
I find that some things take balls while others take finesse. Today was a balls day.
I had to take a stab at some measurements of the beam positions and then dismantle them. Then I could start to remove the main set cottage walls in sections and mark their position on the set. I removed them all and began to cut insulation foam to fit each panel. I then pasted cut pieces of foam to both sides of the original cardboard walls, like a different sammich and wrap it in fiberglass screen ($6/roll). The idea being the soft flexible window screening mesh would give firm traction as an underment to the plaster daub coating. I have a wall pressed between boards under heavy weight overnight to dry before I test plaster it tomorrow.
Lots of detailed tasks take finesse, sculpting, meticulous styling of clothing and other tiny props, etc. or even the artistry of editing a final scene requires a skillful flair. But the moves I made today took a bold heart and called for a kind of backbone that I usually shy away from.
And as a fun bonus, inspired by the fabulous workshop tips from master miniature builder, Rik Pierce. I cut a hole in the bottom of the tree stove fire place, clipped a 7 watt flame-colored bulb into an empty glass spice jar, ran the cord down through the tree to the outside landscape, and did a quick dressing to check the effect. That's going to look just like I wanted by the time I'm through.
I also managed to create a custom Tudor-style leading for the next two arch-shaped windows for the cottage. I quite like it and look forward to getting more of the lead out.