It was useful. Not successful but useful.
Useful because I got far more familiar with what I need and want my Halfland armatures to be like. Unsuccessful because my experiment of testing Japanese plastic ball& socket joints in the design failed. Everything worked perfectly except for the weakness of the stems on the joints. The joints themselves were great. The epoxy held well, the plug and play fitted tubing concept worked great. The rubberized bandage wrap worked well, allowing the poses without spring back, yet holding all the parts securely.
One really positive result from the test was that I stumbled upon the idea to make the final layer a latex-coated paper skin. It was like papier maché only using latex on the underside instead of adhesive.
FUN to paint in several layers of nice latex into the molds for Kyra the mermaid's arms. After they were dry, I fitted the bandage-wrapped armature inside and back-filled with more latex making for a solid articulate puppet arm when cured. Upper right, the armature curing inside the bound mold halves. Bottom right, the paper skin surface.
Really just to test the armature, I made a quick wire hand armature. I put small oval pearl beads inside each finger tip but of course the "real" puppet arm will need proper tiny hinges or joints in each finger.
Second from right shows the hand fresh from the mold, the far right is after trimming excess latex away and dipping in thinned latex.
armature test from herself on Vimeo.