Going to the Wall


Click on the image for a larger view

Today I removed the masking tape from the wooden timbers. The joint compound was still uncured and soft like paper clay. I would say my plan worked, and didn't. Some areas came out perfectly (the far right close up shows an area that worked how I wanted, on the right), others were still too uneven and cracked (as seen in the close up, on its top half). I took a scalpel to the still malleable plaster to trim and neaten up the edges. I took one wall down and was happy to see that it came away cleanly from the uprights next to it.

Overall, I think this will work. I think the next step is to recover the wood, which got distressed by the tape pulling away, by the way. Not a problem as I like the added texture and can wash it again with more stain.) Again, recover the wood slats, this time on just the face of it, and then add an additional layer to the walls of either plaster slurry or more joint compound. After that, I can begin tinting the walls in ocher upon deeper ocher acrylic washes. Woo.

Next steps: For the interior wall surfaces, I think I'll have to dismantle the panels and turn them around to get at them! And I'm still mentally sorting out the addendum landscape set construction and how on earth I'll add a roof!

Pssst: I collected all my already made Halfland goodies and props for a show and tell and tidied up the workshop for a certain secret special super surprise guest at Halfland Ranch this weekend!

Comments

  1. I cant wait to find out who the guest is, Take lots of Photos of the goodies and props as we hav'nt seen am all !

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure will, Ben!

    Hint: this guest is a Notes from Halfland reader, from near its beginning, and is also a crazed stop motion animator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:16 AM

    Mike, Grant, Ubatuber its killin me with suspence!

    When is the Guest Coming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben, You are so cute! I can tell you the guest is scheduled to arrive Sunday afternoon in the Pacific Standard Time zone and is NONE of the people you listed!

    Tee hee.

    (Another hint is that they are big-hearted, smart, and I have heard from other online friends, really fun to meet!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:23 AM

    I dunno who it is, I thought it was Darkstrider. Is this the first person who is an animator you have met?

    The only animator I have met is Ray Harryhausen.

    from M.Cute
    heehee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to meet Strider too very much!

    This guest is a fellow newbee stop motion animator, someone who is learning like the rest of us.

    Actually, yes, I think this IS the first online friend animator I have met in person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.... ok, this is buggin' me! I immediately thought Phil Dale for some reason, but you can't really call him a newb.

    Let's see.... Ben didn't mention Sven, or it could be Michael Granberry or Ale, or Mark Fullerton, or Jriggity..... ok, it could be just about anybody. Not Hila I guess, can't call her a noob either. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

    And thanx Shell, I hope one day we do meet (and that we still like each other in person - I know that can happen to online friends who finally meet IRL and find they can't stand each other face to face).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.... ok, this is buggin' me! I immediately thought Phil Dale for some reason, but you can't really call him a newb.

    Let's see.... Ben didn't mention Sven, or it could be Michael Granberry or Ale, or Mark Fullerton, or Jriggity..... ok, it could be just about anybody. Not Hila I guess, can't call her a noob either. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

    And thanx Shell, I hope one day we do meet (and that we still like each other in person - I know that can happen to online friends who finally meet IRL and find they can't stand each other face to face).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:41 AM

    Hee Hee

    Is the person from America?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Foist of all, Strider, I think, with a certainty, that I would always think of you as my dear brother, even if you were annoying in person, hee.

    secondleeeee, I emailed you two days ago who the guest was, so you better see about yur email? Or are you playing coy?!

    Thoidly, Ben, yep, the guest is from America, good question. Another hint, they normaly live only one State away. And Ben, they haven't commented here in a while so, it's possible you will meet them for the first time later today!

    oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two days ago? Wow.... I did check my email right after writing that comment and there it was..... you must've sent it after I checked the mailses the previous day.

    And don't worry - I won't let slip who the mystery guest is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:49 AM

    Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are most welcome, Lilli (I love your name, by the way!) I hope the post helped with your project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment